Services for

Sole Traders


Are you a subcontractor, working for yourself, or thinking about it? Are you expecting a CIS refund? We can help by preparing your figures and tax returns and are here to support you every step of the way.

Registration as Self-Employed

Class 2 & Class 4 National Insurance

VAT Returns

PAYE for Employers

CIS for Contractors & Sub-Contractors

Sole Trader Accounts

Self-Assessment Tax Returns


Sole Traders must register with HMRC for self-assessment and NI contributions. If you are a sole trader you will be running your business as an individual. However, you are able to take on staff and use sub-contractors, as being a sole trader does not mean you have to work alone.

If you have employees or sub-contractors, you will need to account for tax on any payments made to them and this will be through either, Pay As You Earn (PAYE) for employees, or, the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) for sub-contractors.

You may have to register for VAT if your income exceeds £85,000 and submit monthly, quarterly or annual VAT returns, accounting for VAT on your sales and purchases.

You will need to prepare accounts annually and submit a self-assessment Tax Return.

All of these services can be taken care of by the team at Emma Pickles Accountants, leaving you free to concentrate on running a successful business.


Check out our latest Insights for useful accounting tips and information.

Payments received after company is dissolved

Any assets or rights (but not liabilities) remaining in a company at the date of dissolution will pass to the Crown as ownerless property. This happens under what is known as ‘bona vacantia’ which literally means vacant goods. The bodies that deal

Read More

Haulage company charged with loan fraud

An interesting case has seen a haulage company based in the West Midlands have their operator licence revoked. This followed a public inquiry into the company by the traffic commissioner for the West Midlands.

The traffic commissioner found that

Read More

VAT Margin Scheme bad debt relief

The VAT bad debt relief rules allow businesses to claim bad debt relief and reclaim the VAT they have paid to HMRC. This can happen when an invoice has been issued to a customer and no payment has been received after an extended period (usually 6

Read More