Services for



We cater for individuals who receive income from dividends, rental properties, savings, those who are company directors and people who have capital gains, for example from selling a second property.

Capital Gains Tax

Inheritance Tax

Rental Income

Higher Income Child Benefit Charge

Checking Coding Notices

Advice on Tax Treatment

Help with Tax Credit Forms

Self-Assessment Tax Returns



Self-Assessment is not just about self-employment and there are lots of circumstances when you might require our assistance even if you are not self- employed or a director in a limited company. We also prepare tax returns for individuals and for trusts and estates.

Capital Gains Tax (CGT) and Inheritance Tax (IHT)

Our team of experts can calculate any tax due on inheritance you may have received or capital gains through sales of your investments (shares, property, etc).

If you are unsure on whether your income falls into either of these categories we can advise you.

Rental Income

If you rent out a property, the rental income you receive will be taxable. Expenses incurred such as gas safety certificates and general maintenance of the property will be deductible against the income.

We can provide you with rental accounts and calculate any tax due whether it is for one flat or for a portfolio of properties. There are exceptions, for example, if you have a lodger living in your house you will qualify for the rent-a-room allowance which may cover all of the rent received.

Higher Income Child Benefit Charge

Introduced in 2013, this new charge requires all individuals who earn over £50,000 per year and are in receipt of child benefit, be it paid to themselves or their partner, to register for self-assessment.

The charge reduces the amount of child benefit a couple is entitled to on a sliding scale where the income of one partner is between £50,000 and £60,000.

Any deemed overpayment of the benefit is collected through the self-assessment system. If one partner earns over £60,000 per year, the charge will match the amount of Child Benefit paid in the year, and it may be best to de-register for child benefit.

All of these services can be taken care of by the team at Emma Pickles Accountants.


Check out our latest Insights for useful accounting tips and information.

Income excluded from a property business

HMRC publishes a list of income streams that are excluded from a UK property business. The list includes fishing concerns, hotels and guest houses, tied premises, caravan sites, lodgers and tenants in your own home, extra services to tenants and

Read More

Structures and Buildings Allowances

The Structures and Buildings Allowances (SBA) allows for tax relief on qualifying capital expenditure on new non-residential structures and buildings. The relief applies to the qualifying costs of building and renovating commercial structures.


Read More

ISAs 2022-23

The maximum amount that can be invested in an ISA in the current (2022-23) tax year is £20,000.

ISA’s are a valuable and flexible relief and should be considered as an option for most investors.

An ISA is a tax-exempt savings account available to

Read More